Welcome to Victorian Christmas Past:
A Virtual Tour of Historic Mansions and Churches
in Williamsport, Pennsylvania

 

2008 Victorian Christmas Mansion and Churches Tour

522 West Fourth Street
The Hiram Rhoads House

Williamsport, PA

This notable example of Queen Anne style architecture was designed by Eber Culver in 1888 for Hiram Rhoads, the man who first brought the telephone to Williamsport.   Among the many features are front doors with unusual stained glass design, hallway and staircase of hand-carved mahogany, five fireplaces, upstairs bathtub encased in mahogany, solid pecan floor in the living room, ornate gilded bronze hardware throughout, and the most magnificent chandeliers in Williamsport.  The dining room has been newly redecorated, and the gourmet kitchen with its handsome tiles has been featured in Victorian Kitchens & Baths book and Victorian Homes Magazine.

634 West Fourth Street          
The Smith/Ulman House
Williamsport, PA

Historically known at the Smith/Ulman House and previously used as the rectory of Annunciation Church, this 1889 house with Italianate influence was built by Isaac Hobbs and is now the law firm of Raup, Wiley, and Mott.  Look for the large brackets, heavy detail, and flared mansard roof.  The Italianate features are the ornate mouldings, arched windows, and door hoods.  This is the largest Second Empire in the Historic District.  The interior is being beautifully restored to its original condition.

 

707 West Fourth Street
The Rowley House Museum

Williamsport, PA

Probably the most magnificent remaining example of the craftsmanship which exemplified Millionaire’s Row, this 1888 home was designed by Eber Culver and built on land purchased by Peter Herdic.  It is recognized as one of the most outstanding examples of Queen Anne architecture in the state and features extraordinary Tiffany quality stained glass windows which were featured in Victorian Homes Magazine.  The cherry and oak woodwork is in excellent condition, and the electric light fixtures are extremely rare.   It was opened to the public as a Victorian House Museum summer 2007.

 

901 West Fourth Street
The Durrwachter House Women’s Museum

Williamsport, PA

Late Victorian Queen Anne, this home (also known as the Johnson/Lamade House) was completely custom designed with colonial revival influence.  The outside of this house is original and boasts many stylistic features, such as double roof dormers with wood shingles and fish scale trim, that were not found in the typical pattern book of the time.  It was designed in 1890 by Amos Wagner and built for Henry Johnson, a state legislator from Muncy, who moved to the city to help his six daughters find suitable husbands among the wealthy men of Williamsport.  The Johnsons were so pleased with Wagner’s work, they had him build a similar home next door on Maynard Street for one of their daughters. The house is now a women’s museum of the 1800s.

 

1023 West Fourth Street
The Westmark House
Williamsport, PA

Built in 1885, this Eastlake-style brick has a gabled roof.  The gables have clapboard and vertical board with an arched mullioned window on the second floor.  The wrap-around porch has an arched entrance, turned posts, railing, and a mullioned sidelight by the door.  This is one of the few homes on West Fourth Street that has never been converted into apartments but has always remained a single family home.

 

1322 Cherry Street
The Vanderlin House

Williamsport, PA

Designed in compelling Arts and Crafts-style architecture, this home, features chestnut beams and woodwork, and stained glass.  A mid-1900s chestnut blight destroyed most of the magnificent American chestnut trees, which makes this house and its woodwork so rare.  Enjoy the 6-foot ceiling-to-floor doors in the 30-foot living room, which leads to the handsome 64-foot stone porch wrapping the front and sides of the house.

855 Vallamont Drive
The Culler House
Williamsport, PA

Built in the early 1900’s by C. Luther and Carolyn Gates Culler, this gracious and elegant brick and stucco home with outside front fountain exemplifies the Georgian style of architecture. In the style of “The Great Gatsby,” it features tall arched, floor-to-ceiling windows, fourteen rooms, five bathrooms, and maid’s and chauffeur’s quarters. The $100,000 construction cost was a sizable amount for the era. Culler owned and operated the Culler Furniture Company in Williamsport, located at the foot of Susquehanna Street on the site of what is now the Pennsylvania College of Technology. The company’s primary product was chairs, and a symbolic Culler Chair stood on the roof of the building. Babe Ruth reportedly hit a home run over this chair during an exhibition game. This spectacular house has recently undergone extensive and detailed restoration by the present owner.

 

454 Pine Street
Old City Hall
Williamsport, PA

Built in 1893 by Eber Culver, Old City Hall is now on the Pennsylvania Inventory of Historic Places as well as the National Historic Register.  Each unique suite is architecturally charming with some suites retaining their original fireproof vaults.  The interior is poshly decorated with luxurious marble tile floors, elegant stairways with magnificent balustrades, and a romantic veranda above the main door.  In 1894, these extravagant details inspired the Gazette & Bulletin to write, “There is no church in Williamsport that will compare in elegance.”  In the early 1980s and less than 100 years later, the building was saved from the wrecking ball by Richard H. Lundy.

 

48 West Fourth Street
The Schauer Building

Williamsport, PA

This magnificent structure was built in 1878 as a commercial building with a huge Masonic lodge on the third floor.  Matt Schauer, the current owner, purchased the building in 2005 and is in the process of transforming the spectacular top-floor space into a penthouse urban dweller’s dream for himself.  Look for the polychromatic vaulted ceilings, the last surviving example of 1870’s painted interior decoration left in Williamsport.  Also note the ornate brackets, medallions, and stained glass windows. 

 

380 West Fourth Street
First Baptist Church
Williamsport, PA

This landmark church was originally designed and built by Eber Culver in 1854.  It has been served by 21 pastors and six interim pastors in three different buildings all on the same corner of ground donated by Peter Herdic.  Peter’s wife was a member of the congregation.  After being destroyed by floods, the original building was torn down in 1889.  The main sanctuary was completed in 1914.  The church is an example of the Romanesque style of architecture, with mountain stone quarried from this area.  The present church is known for its beautiful sanctuary with the eight stained glass windows depicting Baptist patriarchs.  Designed in London and built in New York City, they were taken apart to be transported to Williamsport.

 

436 West Fourth Street
Christ Community Worship Center

Williamsport, PA

Originally Church of the Covenant and more recently St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, this limestone structure has a center spire, bell tower, and steeply pitched roof with stone finials.  The windows are pointed and arched.  It has the largest expanse of Tiffany stained glass in Northcentral Pennsylvania.  Note the arched entryway with decorative insets.

 

700 West Fourth Street
Annunciation Church

Williamsport, PA

Built in 1886 by Amos Wagner on land donated by Peter Herdic, the church was built to service the Irish Catholic community.  It is an example of the Romanesque style of architecture, and the sandstone came from the nearby Ralston Quarry.  The church has a multi-gabled slate roof and walls with colored belt courses.  There are 43 arched stained glass windows.  The entryway and entry doors are semi-circular.  The bell tower is open with a decorative cornice and patterned stone.  The center tower was capped when three workers fell to their deaths during construction.  The interior has marble altars and Tiffany windows.  Note the use of marble and gold. The church seats 1000 people.

 

844 West Fourth Street
Trinity Episcopal Church
Williamsport, PA

Built in 1875 by Culver and Thorn, the church was paid for by Peter Herdic, who donated not only the land but also the entire building to Trinity Parish for one dollar as long as the pews remain “forever free.”  His father-in-law, Judge Maynard, presented the church with the first set of nine-bell Westminster chimes in America, the same as heard in the Big Ben Tower of London.  An example of English Gothic architecture, the church is built with stone quarried from Bald Eagle Mountain at Muncy and brownstone from Hummelstown.  Note the pointed arches and windows, steeply pitched colored slate roof, and 265-foot spire.


 

2007 Victorian Christmas Mansion and Churches Tour

Cipolla House
428 W. Edwin (formerly Miele -Wood)
Anthony Cipolla - Current Owner
Williamsport, PA

Circ 1890's Victorian Façade with contemporary adaptations, handsome woodwork handcrafted by James Wood Company. Mahogany bath tub on 3 rd floor. Enhancing sky lights. Classic Queen Anne with steep gables. Many exterior ornamental features - turned posts, fretworks, Decorative shingles.

 


Cipolla House

Kieser House
713 Hepburn Street
Williamsport, PA

Large classic Queen Anne Victorian with large gables and a predominate tower. The house is built of brick with shingle decoration. The design of this house shows subtle Richardsonian Romanesque details into its overall façade. Interior oak and mahogany paneling packet doors and brick fireplaces with wooden surrounds.

 


Kieser House

LeVan House
878 West Fourth Street
Timothy Levan Owner
Williamsport, PA

Circa 1865 Built by Peter Herdic and sold to his accountant. Mr. LeVan is the 3rd owner. Second Empire style, deep cove moldings and center medallions in the interior Stylish double front doors with etched glass classic 2nd empire window cornices above each window. Original stucco. This styles hallmark is the flat roof with decorative slate roof sides with built in dormers.

 


LeVan House

David Stroehman House
711 Vallamont Drive

The Stroehmann Family residence owners. Spectacular brick house with tower in the French Norman influence. The house was designed by the well known Architect, Carl Tallman in the late 1920's. The exterior of the house is completely original and in excellent condition. The inter features handsome fireplaces, butler's pantry, fish pond and intriguing tower steps.

 


David Stroehman House

Thomas Taber Museum
858 West 4 th Street
(Centennial Exhibit 100 Years)
Williamsport, PA

Immerse yourself in local history at this intriguing museum, which charts the region's past through exhibits and memorabilia. From frontier days to the booming era of the Lumber Barons, the museum highlights Williamsport 's fortunes and vagaries. Hundreds of model trains also find their share of fans; some even make their way about the facility. Additional displays showcase 19th-century paintings, various town buildings, and period furnishings.

 


Thomas Taber Museum

Peter Herdic Transportation Museum
810 Nichols Place
Williamsport, PA

The Susquehanna River provided the means for Lycoming County 's explosive growth at the turn of the century. Come visit the Peter Herdic Transportation Museum and explore the rich traditions of the Susquehanna Valley from the time of the Susquehannock Indian Tribe to today's modern transportation systems. From the birch bark canoe to a fully restored GMC 1962 bus, it's an interesting tour back in time. PETER HERDIC TRANSPORTATION is behind Trinity Episcopal Church.

 


Peter Herdic Transportation Museum

Annunciation Catholic Church
700 W. Fourth Street
Williamsport, PA
Built 1886
Amos Wagner architect

The church has a multi-gabled slate roof and stonewalls with colored belt courses. There are forty-three arched stained glass windows. The entryway and entry doors are semi-circular. The bell tower is open with a decorative cornice and patterned stone. The center tower was capped when three workers fell to their deaths during construction. The interior has marble altars and Tiffany windows. Built on land donated by Peter Herdic, the local Irish community used Ralston Quarry sandstone to build this structure.

 

Annunciation
Annunciation Catholic Church

Christ Community Worship Center
436 West Fourth Street
Williamsport, PA

Originally Church of the Covenant and more recently St. Paul's Lutheran Church, this limestone structure has a center spire, bell tower and steeply pitched roof with stone finials. The windows are pointed and arched. It has the largest expanse of Tiffany stained glass in North  Central PA.

 

Christ Community Worship Center
Christ Community Worship Center

First Baptist Church
380 West Fourth Street
Williamsport, PA

Dedicated September 27, 1914, this historic downtown church was been served by 21 pastors and six interim pastors in three different buildings all built on the same corner of ground provided by Peter Herdic Peter's wife was a member of the congregation. The present church is known for its beautiful sanctuary and 39 unique stained glass windows.

 

First Baptist Church
First Baptist Church

Rowley House Museum
707 W. Fourth Street
Williamsport, PA
Built 1888, Eber Culver architect

Preservation Williamsport owners. Newspapers and books noted this house on one of the most architecturally important Queen Anne Victorian homes in Pennsylvania . Nothing was spared by Multimillionaire, Edwin A Rowley when he built this imposing structure in 1888. The mansion has just been painted in delightful colors of the era. The carved wood gable, protruding corner bay, projecting dormer and massive turned porch posts provide striking examples of the Queen Anne style. The roof has patterned slate, metal ridge caps, tall, decorative chimneys and large overhanging eaves. The brick has tile insets. Note the delicate wrought iron fence.

 

Rowley Hower Museum
Rowley House Museum

Durrwachter House Women's Museum
901 W. Fourth Street
Williamsport, PA

Late Victorian Queen Ann, completely custom designed with colonial revival influence. The outside of the house is original and boasts many stylistic features not found in the typical pattern book of the time. The house is now a women's museum of the 1800's Designed in 1890 by Amos Wagner and built for Henry Johnson, a state legislator from Muncy. Johnson moved to the city to help his six daughters find suitable husbands among the wealthy men of Williamsport. This home represents the Queen Anne style of architecture. The Johnson's were so please with Wagner's work they had him build a similar home next door on Maynard Street for one of their daughters!

 

Johnson-Lamade-Durrwachter House Museum
Durrwachter House Women's Museum

Trinity Episcopal Church
844 W. Fourth Street
Williamsport, PA
Built 1875, Webber, Culver and Thorn architects

Built with stone from the Bald Eagle Mountain at Muncy and brownstone from Chummiest it has the first nine bell Westminster chimes in America and a mural by Wetly Little. The church was paid for by Peter Herdic and given to Trinity Parish for one dollar as long as the pews remain "forever free". Note the pointed arches and windows, steeply pitched colored slate roof and 265-foot spire.

 

Trinity Episcopal Church
Trinity Episcopal Church

 

2006 Victorian Christmas Mansion and Churches Tour

Annunciation Catholic Church
700 W. Fourth Street
Williamsport, PA
Built 1886
Amos Wagner architect

The church has a multi-gabled slate roof and stonewalls with colored belt courses. There are forty-three arched stained glass windows. The entryway and entry doors are semi-circular. The bell tower is open with a decorative cornice and patterned stone. The center tower was capped when three workers fell to their deaths during construction. The interior has marble altars and Tiffany windows. Built on land donated by Peter Herdic, the local Irish community used Ralston Quarry sandstone to build this structure.

 

Annunciation

Annunciation Catholic Church

Peter Herdic Inn
411 West Fourth Street
Williamsport, PA


Recently purchased by the Miele's of the Herdic House Restaurant, this beautifully maintained home is now a bed and breakfast. The house contains many original gas light fixtures. Look particularly at the ornate dining room light. Also note the stained glass window at the top of the steps, the rounded panes in the turret and the servant call system in the kitchen.

 

Peter Herdic Inn
Peter Herdic Inn

Covenant Central Presbyterian Church
807 W. Fourth Street
Williamsport, PA


Built 1906 Richardson Romanesque, this stone building has a red tile roof, thick window lentils, large semi-circular arched entries, and three doors with stained glass fanlights. There are many arched stained glass windows. The corner towers have conical red tile roofs.

Covenant Central Presbyterian Church
Covenant Central Presbyterian Church

Durrwachter House Women's Museum
901 W. Fourth Street
Williamsport, PA

Designed in 1890 by Amos Wagner and built for Henry Johnson, a state legislator from Muncy. Johnson moved to the city to help his six daughters find suitable husbands among the wealthy men of Williamsport. This home represents the Queen Anne style of architecture. The Johnson's were so please with Wagner's work they had him build a similar home next door on Maynard Street for one of their daughters!

 

Johnson-Lamade-Durrwachter House Museum
Durrwachter House Women's Museum

 

Peter Herdic Double
942-944 W. Fourth Street
Williamsport, PA

This brick double house was built by Herdic in 1875 to encourage more families to move to West Fourth Street. It has a mansard roof (Second Empire) and a protruding center bay with a copula on top. The West side has arched windows but the East side has rectangular windows. The front porch trims differ. The porches were once mirror images of one another.

Peter Herdic Double
Peter Herdic Double

Payne House
1042 West Fourth Street
Williamsport, PA

Built circa 1870 for J. W. Payne, this is one of the few houses on Millionaires Row that has always been a single family dwelling. Take a look oat the chestnut woodwork and the elaborate crown molding in the parlor. There is a servant call box in the kitchen and the second floor sewing looks like oak but is actually painted.

 

The Payne House
Payne House

Cipolla House
201 East Third Street
Williamsport, PA 17701

Constructed in 1904-05, between the Victorian and the Arts and Crafts Period, this former Doctor's office and residence is a wonderful example of a town house. Purchased and refurbished by the present owners, the house reflects a resurgence of young professionals wanting to live in the city.

 

The Cipolla House
Cipolla House

Tonkin House
1513 Campbell Street
Williamsport, PA 17701

Built in 1932 by Harold Tonkin at the "end" of Campbell Street, this home was designed by Carl Tallman, an architect known for custom hillside homes. This ten room house was a quaint French cottage. The original pegged living room has been relocated to the library and the master bedroom. The dining room features a Waterford 1790 candle-lit chandelier. Especially for children is the Phillips collection of carousel horses.

The Tonkin House
Tonkin House

Chambers House
620 Vallamont Drive
Williamsport, PA

Built around 1894, The Arts and Crafts period (end of Victorian Era but maintaining solid craftsmanship) the original residents were the Chambers Family, local furniture shopkeepers.  They also owned the first car in Williamsport with a steering wheel and had 2 driveways to their home, one roofed and one for the 3 bay Carriage House.  The current owners have lived in the home since 2004.  The home has many interior historic features.

 

620 Vallamont Dr
Chambers House

Trinity Episcopal Church
844 W. Fourth Street
Williamsport, PA
Built 1875
Webber Culver and Thorn architects

Built with stone from the Bald Eagle Mountain at Muncy and brownstone from Chummiest it has the first nine bell Westminster chimes in America and a mural by Wetly Little. The church was paid for by Peter Herdic and given to Trinity Parish for one dollar as long as the pews remain "forever free". Note the pointed arches and windows, steeply pitched colored slate roof and 265-foot spire.

 

Trinity Episcopal Church
Trinity Episcopal Church
Christ Community Worship Center
436 West Fourth Street
Williamsport, PA 17701

Originally Church of the Covenant and more recently St. Paul's Lutheran Church, this limestone structure has a center spire, bell tower and steeply pitched roof with stone finials. The windows are pointed and arched. It has the largest expanse of Tiffany stained glass in North  Central PA.

 

Christ Community Worship Center
Christ Community Worship Center

First Baptist Church
380 West Fourth Street
Williamsport, PA 17701

Dedicated September 27, 1914, this historic downtown church was been served by 21 pastors and six interim pastors in three different buildings all built on the same corner of ground provided by Peter Herdic Peter's wife was a member of the congregation. The present church is known for its beautiful sanctuary and 39 unique stained glass windows.

 

First Baptist Church
First Baptist Church
Rowley House Museum
707 W. Fourth Street
Williamsport, PA
Built 1888 Eber
Culver architect

The carved wood gable, protruding corner bay, projecting dormer and massive turned porch posts provide striking examples of the Queen Anne style. The roof has patterned slate, metal ridge caps, tall, decorative chimneys and large overhanging eaves. The brick has tile insets. Note the delicate wrought iron fence.

 

Rowley Hower Museum
Rowley House Museum

 

2005 Victorian Christmas Mansion and Churches Tour

The Hiram Rhoads House
522 West Fourth Street
Williamsport, PA
 

The Hiram Rhoads House is yet another house designed by Eber Culver in the late 1880's for Hiram Rhoads, the man who first brought the telephone to Williamsport. This building is an example of the Queen Anne style, a design that Culver stated in his autobiography, was probably the most successful in his career. This house has many notable feature such as an upstairs bathtub which is encased in mahogany, a solid pecan floor in the living room, and the most magnificent chandeliers in Williamsport.

 

Hiram Rhoads House
Hiram Rhoads House

Annunciation Catholic Church
700 W. Fourth Street
Williamsport, PA
Built 1886

Amos Wagner architect The church has a multi-gabled slate roof and stonewalls with colored belt courses. There are forty-three arched stained glass windows. The entryway and entry doors are semi-circular. The bell tower is open with a decorative cornice and patterned stone. The center tower was capped when three workers fell to their deaths during construction. The interior has marble altars and Tiffany windows. Built on land donated by Peter Herdic, the local Irish community used Ralston Quarry sandstone to build this structure.

 

Annunciation
Annunciation Catholic
Church
Rowley House Museum
707 W. Fourth Street
Williamsport, PA
Built 1888
Eber Culver architect

The carved wood gable, protruding corner bay, projecting dormer and massive turned porch posts provide striking examples of the Queen Anne style. The roof has patterned slate, metal ridge caps, tall, decorative chimneys and large overhanging eaves. The brick has tile insets. Note the delicate wrought iron fence.

 

Rowley Hower Museum
Rowley House Museum
Elias Deemer House
711 West Fourth Street
Williamsport. PA
Built 1887

Again this home was designed and built by Eber Culver in 1887 for Elias Deemer, a lumberman. Another example of Culver's Queen Anne style of architecture with 17 rooms and cherry woodwork.

 

Elias Deemer House
Elias Deemer House
Covenant Central Presbyterian Church
807 W. Fourth Street
Williamsport, PA
Built 1906
Richardson Romanesque

This stone building has a red tile roof, thick window lentils, large semi-circular arched entries, and three doors with stained glass fanlights. There are many arched stained glass windows. The corner towers have conical red tile roofs.

 

Covenant Central Presbyterian Church
Covenant Central
Presbyterian Church

Trinity Episcopal Church
844 W. Fourth Street
Williamsport, PA
Built 1875
Eber Culver and Thorn architects

Built with stone from the Bald Eagle Mountain at Muncy and brownstone from Hummelstown, it has the first nine bell Westminster chimes in America and a mural by Westly Little. The church was paid for by Peter Herdic and given to Trinity Parish for one dollar as long as the pews remain "forever free". Note the pointed arches and windows, steeply pitched colored slate roof and 265-foot spire.

 

Annunciation
Trinity Episcopal Church

Johnson-Lamade-Durrwachter House Museum
901 W. Fourth Street
Williamsport, PA

Designed in 1890 by Amos Wagner and built for Henry Johnson, a state legislator from Muncy. Johnson moved to the city to help his six daughters find suitable husbands among the wealthy men of Williamsport. This home represents the Queen Anne style of architecture. The Johnson's were so please with Wagner's work they had him build a similar home next door on Maynard Street for one of their daughters!

 

Johnson-Lamade-Durrwachter House Museum
Johnson-Lamade-
Durrwachter House Museum

Harrar House
915 W. Fourth Street
Williamsport, PA

Built for Lucy Eutermarks as a wedding gift from her parents in the early 1870's. Designed by Eber Culver in the Italianate design. The house was originally assigned 913 West Fourth Street, but  the brides parents thinking this was unlucky had the house number changed to 915!

 

Harrar House
Harrar House

Overheiser - Hoagland - Kane House
849 Louisa Street
Williamsport, PA

This Queen Anne style home was built in 1893 for David Overheiser who owned a lumber planing mill on Walnut Street . This was also home to the Mayor of Williamsport in the 1920's (Hoagland). The exterior features multiple steep pitched gables and dormers, stained glass windows, the original slate roof, and very rare colored slate designs that encompass the entire face of each gable. This house was the first on this particular block of very interesting and original Victorian houses. The interior features all original golden oak woodwork and a very ornate staircase. There are 7 original bedrooms, front and back parlors, fireplace, front and back staircases, dining room, and large family kitchen. The land for this house was originally part of the Mingle Farm which was divided into large lots for housing development as Williamsport expanded north out of the flood plane and into the beautiful wooded area known as Old Oaks Park.

 

David Overheiser House
Overheiser - Hoagland -
Kane House

Easton - Carson House
826 Glenwood Ave
Williamsport, PA

The Easton - Carson House was designed by Wagner & Reitmeyer Architect Co. and was completed in the Vallamont Land Development in 1895 for Robert Easton, a supervisor of Williamsport's Coryell Machine Co. The Queen-Ann home remained in the Easton family for 55 years. The family's home included one of the first open decks in Williamsport and made use of combination gas/electric lights due to electricity's reputation as unreliable. Other notable features are the home's antique chandeliers and 28 distinct wallpapers. This home is featured in the October 2005 edition of Victorian Homes Magazine.

Carson House
Easton - Carson House

© Copyright 2005 - 2008 Victorian Christmas,
All rights reserved.